This week I'd like to share some life changing boxed cake mix hacks with you. Whenever people hear of box mixes, they have one of two reactions - they either love em or hate em. While I agree that cakes from scratch are unbeatable, boxed cake mixes are great when in a time pinch or when you are a first time baker. The ease of using a cake mix is undeniable and with these hacks, you can have a boxed mix cake that tastes as good as from scratch cake! Pictured are my version of doctored funfetti cake mix cupcakes topped with the best ever lightened cream cheese frosting.
Which leads me to the second recipe I am sharing today- the best ever sturdy whipped cream frosting recipe. Because of the stabilizing ingredient in this recipe, cream cheese, it can be taken two ways. It can either be a lightened cream cheese frosting or it can be a sturdy whipped cream frosting. The cream cheese flavor is not strong which makes it a very delicious frosting recipe and much lighter and fluffier than a traditional buttercream or swiss meringue frosting. That also makes it my ultimate favorite frosting to pair with any and all cake flavors! When made properly, this frosting stands the test of being at room temperature (for a few hours), holds its shape when being piped, and tastes utterly delightful. Now I do have to point out that it is whipped cream, so it will never be as stiff as other frosting options (you won't be able to pipe flowers and intricate details with it). If you like a lighter frosting, this is the one for you.
Boxed Cake Mix Hacks
How to half a box mix -
- Measure 1 3/4 cups of cake mix from any 18 oz cake mix box. For this amount you will need 2/3 cup water, 1/4 cup oil, and 1 egg. Follow the rest of the directions on the box accordingly.
Moister box mix (tastes homemade!)
- These are the "must make" changes that go with any cake mix-
- Substitute water with milk (same quantity as required)
- Substitute oil with butter (same quantity as required)
- Add one more egg and one teaspoon of vanilla extract to the mix
- For chocolate cake mix, add coffee powder and/or sour cream.
- For all other cake mixes, raid your pantry for different spices and extracts that you think will boost the flavor of the cake - nutmeg, cinnamon, sprinkles lemon zest, etc.
- If you're being adventurous, try adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to the cake mix.
Best Ever Sturdy Whipped Cream Frosting!
(Makes 2-3 cups of frosting)
1 (8 oz) package of cream cheese, room temp
3/4 - 1 cup sugar, to taste
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
Whisk cream cheese in a stand mixer on med-high speed until light and fluffy. Add in sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and continue to whisk until fully combined and fluffy (sugar granules should be mostly dissolved). Lastly, pour in the heavy cream and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Do not over whisk this frosting or it will fall. Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl a few times while whisking to ensure that there are no lumps and everything is well combined. Keep refrigerated at all times until in use. Enjoy!