Monday, July 4, 2016

Creamy Mango Crepe Cake


An (early) Eid Mubarak to all of my lovely readers, new and old! If you've been following me for a few years, you may remember Eid Eats 2014 - a virtual Eid party hosted by My Ninja Naan, Flour & Spiceand Chocolate & Chillies. Well, Eid-ul-Fitr 2016 is almost here and it is once again time to join an awesome virtual Eid party full of delicious food items and eye-catching desserts. If you know me, I love to bring a dessert to any gathering. In fact, it is pretty much a tradition for me to bring a dessert every time I visit my in laws. So of course, it was a given that I would bring dessert to this party.

Today, I am sharing the recipe for this dreamy creamy mango crepe cake. Actually, there is a story behind this beautiful, 30 plus layer cake. It's mango season, and chances are, if you're Desi and celebrating Ramadan, you have a huge box full of mangoes sitting in your pantry. With only two adults in the house, and both of us fasting, that meant a surplus of mangoes leftover and not enough mouths to finish them. As the mangoes started to reach their peak ripeness, I really needed to figure out what to do with them, and making them into a dessert seemed like the best option.


Luckily, I was invited to an iftar a few days later so I had the opportunity to give a mango dessert a try and share it with some friends as well. The only problem was that this cake did not fold out exactly as I had planned. The creamy mango filling never set and it turned into a little bit of a lopsided cake when I added whole pieces of mango fruit in the center. The top half of the cake slid right off the bottom half! Nonetheless, the flavor of the crepes and mango cream really was a great combination. While the cake recipe needs to be tweaked a little, I would recommend the filling recipe to anyone. A huge thank you to all my family and friends who support my baking endeavors and are such good sports with my successes and not-so-successful desserts.


I also took a batch of my popular kulfi, on request, and coincidentally, that is the recipe I shared for Eid Eats 2014! Here it is if you would like to take a gander, here is the link: kulfi (Indian ice cream). Without further ado, we revisit this same dish 2 years later for a mango crepe cake.


Here is a crepe cake I have made in the past that turned out beautifully - complete with recipe and steps for assembly. :)

Enjoy and good luck in the kitchen!

Mango Crepes


Make a batch of my classic sweet crepe recipe here

Mango filling:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 tspn vanilla extract
1 cup fresh mango puree (blended and strained flesh of 2 mangoes)

2 mangoes, diced
1/4 cup mango puree

To make the filling: mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until well combined. Scrape the sides of the mixing bowl to ensure that everything is combined. Add in the heavy cream and whip on high speed until medium peaks form. Add in the mango puree and whip till stiff peaks form.

To serve, fill a crepe with a few tablespoons of mango filling and top with mango pieces. Drizzle mango puree on top of the crepe and serve.


Asiya @ Chocolate & Chillies said...

Absolutely gorgeous cake! I'm sure it was delicious despite the lopsidedness. Thank you for joining us again for Eid Eats and an early Eid Mubarak to you and your family!

Unknown said...

I love crepes, and it's a special traditional dish in my home country, but never tried a cake out of it, looks like an interesting and delicious idea. Thanks for sharing and Eid Mobarak!

Henna said...

Seriously Warda, your dessert takes the cake (pun intended, lol) for this party! mashAllah, what an absolute stunner!
Thank you for participating in #EidEats2016 and a very very happy Eid to you and yours!

Sarah - Flour & Spice said...

Wardah Wardah Wardah *sigh*....
heehe
Thanks so much for joining in the fun this year - that shot totally made my day!

Habeeba@flavour Diary said...

crepe cake looks delicious and beautifully captured

Vajeea said...

This is so beautiful!

Carrie said...

Beautiful!! I love the idea of a crepe cake, yours looks amazing!

© Best of Wardah. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.