Sunday, April 3, 2016

Video Recipe: Spicy Fish Fry and Tartar Sauce


Best of Wardah presents.......

Farhana's Kitchen! I'd like to share a new creative direction I'm taking, accompanied by my talented mom and the best chef I know, Farhana. My mom is always sharing her recipes with others, so I thought I'd share some on my blog. But, I knew that watching someone create a delicious meal is so different from reading and following a written recipe. Thus, an idea was born! If I were to film my mom as she cooked one of her oft-requested recipes, so many people could try them and she'd never have to share the recipe again. After much convincing, she grudgingly agreed and this is the result.


TL;DR I filmed and produced my mom's recipe of a Pakistani take on the classic fish and chips meal. Recipe and steps for a delicious meal of spicy fried fish served with tartar sauce.

You can find the video here...


Filming and producing this video was a stressful but fulfilling experience. You could hear a lot of "Mom! Wait, I haven't started recording yet" and "Wait! It's not in focus yet" in the kitchen. I know in the future we'll look back on this experience and have a great laugh but for now, Mom has written off filming any more videos for a few days. Haha! 


I hope you can give this recipe a try and enjoy!

Spicy Fish Fry
(serves 6-8)

2 lbs white fish fillet (cod, tilapia, swai basa)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp carom seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup seasoned all purpose flour
1 cup panko
3 eggs
oil for shallow frying

Wash and dry the fish. Grind the cumin and carom seeds to a fine powder. Stir together the seed powder, garlic ginger paste, red chili powder, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Marinate the fish for 2 hours or overnight.

In the meantime, prepare the tartar sauce.

Bread the fish by dipping it in the flour, eggs, and then panko. Repeat until finished. Breaded fish can be frozen for later use for up to a month. Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat. Fry the fish on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain any excess oil and serve hot with chips or fries. 

Tartar Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp relish
1 tbsp minced onion
1 tbsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Stir all the ingredients together. Leave in the refrigerator for the flavors to meld. 

Enjoy!


© Best of Wardah. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.