Saturday, July 28, 2012

DB July Challenge: Crazy For Crackers

Hello everyone!

Our July 2012 Daring Bakers’ Host was Dana McFarland and she challenged us to make homemade crackers! Dana showed us some techniques for making crackers and encouraged to use our creativity to make each cracker our own by using ingredients we love.

The two crackers I chose to make were graham crackers and Cheez-its! I can assure you that both crackers were loads of fun to make.

You can find the posts on the crackers and their recipes here:






So the main rule of this challenge was to make these crackers by using different rolling and shaping methods for each cracker. I decided to go with the traditional hand rolling and non-traditional icebox shaping methods.


Here I rolled out the dough for the Cheez-its using a rolling pin and cut square shapes using a knife.


For the graham crackers, I formed the dough into a log shape and chilled it. Then I cut it into crackers by slicing it thinly. This is the non-traditional icebox method of forming the crackers.

Though both methods worked great for me, I can definitely say that I prefer the icebox method. It was a lot faster and less frustrating (no crackers tearing apart the second I try to lift them onto the tray). However, the crackers of the other method were a lot more clean cut and consistent in shape and thickness. I'm sure they would have been even more so if I had used a cookie cutter.

I have to say that I really enjoyed the Daring Baker challenge of this month. It was super fun and something that people normally don't even think of doing. I mean, who makes their own crackers these days? But the results were pleasing and the process was fun. I know I'll definitely be making those Cheez-its again!

© Best of Wardah. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.