Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Vegetarian for a Week - Day 3 - Fettuccine with Zucchini and Garlic


Hello everyone!

It's day three and all I have to say is that I'm really enjoying it.  I used to be really annoyed with the time I spent in the kitchen because it always seemed like most of my day was spent cooking while I could be doing other things.  Now, though, I really enjoy my time in the kitchen. As I get more experienced, cooking and cleaning is just so much easier and faster.  Really though, this cooking infatuation I have right now will probably not be expressed as much after this week because school will start then.  I'll be thrown right back into that vicious cycle of school and sleep.

The recipe I tried today is a Rachael Ray recipe for spaghetti with zucchini and garlic.  I replaced spaghetti with fettuccine and added more garlic and seasoning to the recipe.  These additions suited my tastes, but I'm sure both ways taste amazing.


Fettuccine with Zucchini and Garlic
Serves 4-6 people

Ingredients
3 small to medium zucchini
1/4 cup olive oil, 4 turns of the pan 
5 cloves garlic, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound fettuccine, cooked and set aside
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Step 1:


Pile up 2 or 3 layers of paper towels on a work surface.  Working on the paper towels, shred zucchinis using a grater holding the zucchini at an angle.  (I'm assuming the paper towels are used to soak up the water in the zucchinis.  However, I thought it was sort of a waste after I finished.  Try using 1 paper towel folded in half to conserve paper.)

Step 2:

 
Heat a large skillet over moderate heat.  Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan.  Add chopped garlic to the oil. 


When garlic speaks by sizzling in oil, add shredded zucchini. Season zucchini with salt and pepper. Saute shredded zucchini 7 to 10 minutes. 

Step 3:


Add hot, drained pasta to the pan. Toss spaghetti with zucchini and garlic oil. 


Add a couple of handfuls of grated cheese to the pan. Adjust seasoning and serve.


This dish has a very exquisite taste.  The zucchini has a slight zing to it and the aftertaste of the olive oil is really unique.  I increased the quantity of zucchini in my version of this pasta because without the flavor of the zucchini, it is a bit lacking in flavor and bland.  I hope you all try it and enjoy!

Abdullah Arif said...

alhamdullilah we have to be grateful for what we have, that is all i can say


jk yummy

Samina Ahmad said...

Yum Yum Yum looksssssss sooooo gooooddddd

© Best of Wardah. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.